trying to install

haef

trying to install

Post by haef » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Not sure who do ask this of: My hosting company "DowntownHost" changed up a bunch of things which included tossing out Mailman. They now provide the Softalicious software installer, which has Dada as an option for those needing mailing lists.

I cannot get it to install and work. I'm sure it's something dirt simple, but I'm not an IT guy and the DTHost support seems remarkably clueless.

When I install it and attempt to connect I get "Forbidden You don't have permission to access this resource."

It doesn't matter what I change permissions to (sort of flailingly), but I've tried doing 777 all over the place.

I also attempted a manual install and cannot get anything to happen. I try to run the uncompresser installer, and get the "Forbidden.." message again.

Can anyone give me any direction here?

Thanks!

dadamail
Site Admin

Re: trying to install

Post by dadamail » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:58 pm

There wouldn't be anything you would want to have permissions of, "777".

Let's take a step back. Are you trying to install in your cgi-bin? (you shouldn't need to, but it's usually a safe bet things will work in there). And, is the cgi-bin and public_html direction that it's in both have permissions set to, "755"?

Looks like this host is cPanel based, so the screencast in the directions should show a fairly similar environment to what you're trying to install on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5vTHUpC-n8
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail

haef

Post by haef » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm

I've been trying 777 out of desperation. :cry:

I've tried putting the dada-11_10_2.tar.gz and uncompress_dada.cgi in the public_html folder.

I've tried putting the dada-11_10_2.tar.gz and uncompress_dada.cgi in the public_html/cgi-bin folder.

I change uncompress_dada.cgi to 755 in both cases.

I visit http://mydomain.org/uncompress_dada.cgi and get the "Forbidden You don't have permission to access this resource" and "Forbidden 403" as the title of the window.

Any other thoughts as to what might be the issue here? Any other tests I could perform to isolate the problem?

I don't think it has anything to do with your script, but the tech support guy at Downtown Host seems to care not even though he's essentially offering your work (and others) as part of his product. I'm sort of stuck here at least until I throw in the towel and switch to another hosting company.

Thank you!

dadamail
Site Admin

Post by dadamail » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:39 pm

A Forbidden error would happen if you wouldn't have access to run the app at all - yes it doesn't look like it's specifically a problem with the app, then. Forbidden errors would come from too strict of permissions, say 600; rather than too lax, like 777. So I am a little confused why you're getting this problem as well. Double check that the cgi-bin directory and every directory it's under is set to, "755" (cgi-bin, public_html, your home directory)
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail

haef

Post by haef » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Thank you for considering this. As much as I am intellectually curious what the problem is here, it's also wasting my time and now your time. Given the overall mediocre support from downtownhost.com I think I shall move my microscopic hosting needs elsewhere.

Again, thanks for your help!

haef

Post by haef » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Based on your experience, do you have a web host or two that you recommend to people?

Inexpensive (for low traffic kind of clients) but not painful. And works with Dada Mail!

haef

Post by haef » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:30 pm

Anyone? Hosting opinions?

haef

Post by haef » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Different direction: Will Dada run on a Synology box?

dadamail
Site Admin

Post by dadamail » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm not familiar with Synology - Dada Mail is written to work with practically any cPanel-based host as the minimum. I've done literally hundreds upon hundreds of installs on cPanel sites. The system requirements are here:

https://dadamailproject.com/d/requirements.pod.html

and I do have a small list of hosts here:

https://dadamailproject.com/support/hosting.html

Of course, Dada Mail will work well on hosts not listed here as well,
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail

haef

Post by haef » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Sorry, that wasn't clear: Synology is a NAS that can provide web services and email among it's various package possibilities. I would guess Dada would work, since it seems to meet the requirements.

The only trick with hosting it at home is trying to relay via Spectrum ISP's SMTP server. Not sure that is allowed.

I'll let you know how this works out!