Installing from Softaculous

kant99

Installing from Softaculous

Post by kant99 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:01 pm

I'm using the Softaculous installer provided with my site's cPanel. All seems to go well with the install. However, when I try the root/admin link provided, http://...../cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/admin, I get a Dada error page. On inspecting that link in my directory, I see only a text file "mail.cgi". What is "admin" supposed to be? Should there be a directory called "mail.cgi"?

Thanks for any help,
~Bob

dadamail
Site Admin

Re: Installing from Softaculous

Post by dadamail » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:20 pm

There should be a directory called, "dada", and inside a plaintext file called, "mail.cgi". There should not be a directory called, "admin", but "/admin" should be appended to the end of the URL to your Dada Mail install, and I think that's what you see, http://example.com/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/admin

Looks like things are set up correctly to me. What's the error that's being thrown?
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail

kant99

Post by kant99 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:04 pm

this is the error message:
install error.jpg
install error.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 29365 times
I tried installing several times, both simple and advanced options. Same error.
Also tried the manual install from your own instructions, but would not allow me to use mySQL, only SQLite, so I aborted that.

dadamail
Site Admin

Post by dadamail » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:49 pm

kant99 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:04 pm
Also tried the manual install from your own instructions, but would not allow me to use mySQL, only SQLite, so I aborted that.
Try changing the shebang line, as outlined here:

https://dadamailproject.com/d/FAQ-error ... rl-Version

This issue is most likely why the Softaculous install isn't working either,
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail

kant99

Post by kant99 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi Justin,

I'm using a rented shared server, so I do not have complete access to all files and config. However it is using Perl 5.16.3. I started the manual install again (but didn't change the Perl location, as I have a version later than called out in the link you had me look at). Before I got to the db type selection, I stopped and looked at "installer_errors.txt". It has some info, but phpBB won't let me attach it ("illegal extension" even without it), or copy its contents here ("Forbidden. Message seems to be spam."). Is there some other way I can get that error file to you?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Bob

dadamail
Site Admin

Post by dadamail » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:55 pm

kant99 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:02 pm
I'm using a rented shared server, so I do not have complete access to all files and config.
That's plenty to run Dada Mail and cPanel will have a file manager that allows you to edit files. Access to those files should not a problem, either.
However it is using Perl 5.16.3. I started the manual install again (but didn't change the Perl location, as I have a version later than called out in the link you had me look at)
Give it a try, anyways. If that doesn't work, ask your host to install the DBD::mysql Perl module.

Who's your host?
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail

kant99

Post by kant99 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 pm

OK, install success, after making the shebang mods you suggested. Now on to creating and using a list.

One question before moving to that: It appears so far that the top-level Dada web page will be for selecting/creating a List. Is that correct? So that any other mods for configuration requires text updates in .dada_files/.configs/.dada_config
I found the documentation for that.

dadamail
Site Admin

Post by dadamail » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:12 am

kant99 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 pm
So that any other mods for configuration requires text updates in .dada_files/.configs/.dada_config
You may drop into the install to make any global setting changes you would like,

https://dadamailproject.com/d/install_d ... -Installer
Justin J
Creator, Dada Mail